If you’re looking for a simple, effective way to detox that only takes five minutes a day, then this is for you. Dry skin brushing has so many benefits, costs practically nothing and cleans you from the inside out.
How does it work?
You skin is the largest organ in the human body and is very important for elimination. One third of the body’s toxins are excreted through the skin. Dry brushing helps to unclog your pores, stimulate lymphatic flow, and helps excrete the toxins that become trapped in the skin. That’s why sweating is so important too. You can see more about that in my post here.
The lymphatic system is responsible for collecting, transporting to the blood, and eliminating the waste our cells produce. If the lymphatic system is congested, it can lead to a build-up of toxins, causing inflammation and illness. Dry brushing stimulates the lymphatic system as it stimulates and invigorates the skin.
Some of the benefits of dry brushing
- exfoliates dead skin
- stimulates lymphatic flow
- reduces cellulite
- decongests skin
How to dry skin brush
- You’ll need to purchase a dry skin brush. They aren’t expensive and will last a long time. One like this would be perfect since it has a long, detachable handle so you can reach your back and legs easily. The stiffer the bristles, the more it will stimulate your lymph system.
- Remove all clothing and get in the shower
- Begin brushing by starting at your feet and move in long sweeping motions toward your heart. Always go toward your heart
- Brush each area several times
- Brush gently over sensitive areas. Your skin will become less sensitive as you dry brush more. Make sure you apply enough pressure to exfoliate but not hard enough to cause irritation. Avoid areas with cuts, wounds, irritation, or in my case, eczema.
- Once you’ve brushed your entire body, take a shower to remove the toxins that were released. Apply an oil or lotion all over when finished.
It will be uncomfortable at first because your skin isn’t used to this treatment. You’ll think you’re going to have red scratches all over your body, but you won’t!
This is something you can do everyday. Clean your brush with soap and water once a week. Make sure it dries completely so you prevent mildew growth. Do not do this to your face since the brush can be too harsh for sensitive facial skin.
You’ll start to see benefits right away!