Eggplant is an unusual vegetable that has a unique range of health benefits, including an ability to help build strong bones and prevent osteoporosis, reduce symptoms of anemia, increase cognitive function, improve cardiovascular health, protect the digestive system, help lose weight, manage diabetes, and even prevent cancer.
They have a texture that’s sturdy enough to stand up to sauces, toppings, and fillings. Here, they are rolled around a tomato-and-olive filling for a veg version of a classic Italian beef recipe. You won’t miss the meat!
- 2 large eggplant, 1 peeled and diced, 1 cut into 8 slices, divided
- 3 tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 3 Tbs. capers, drained
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss together diced eggplant, tomatoes, onion, 3 Tbs. olive oil, and garlic in bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spread on baking sheet, and roast 25 minutes, or until vegetables are browned and tender. Transfer to food processor, and add sun-dried tomatoes, basil, olives, capers, parsley; process until chunky-smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Heat remaining 3 Tbs. oil in grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant slices on grill pan 3 minutes per side, or until tender. Cool.
3. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon 1/4 cup roasted vegetables onto edge of each grilled eggplant slice. Roll eggplant slices into logs, and place seam-side-down in prepared baking dish. Spoon tomato sauce over eggplant rolls in dish. Bake for 10 minutes, or until tomato sauce is hot and bubbly. Garnish with basil leaves.