Who doesn’t love taco Tuesday? This version of a taco salad has fresh flavors and a healthy nutritional profile. It’s gluten free and high in fiber and is quick and easy to make. You can control the heat level by varying the type of salsa you use. Baked corn tortilla chips and a few squeezes of fresh lime juice will take it up a notch. Give this one a try!
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 large plum tomato, diced
- ½ cup canned kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring often, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, beans, cumin, chili powder and salt; cook, stirring, until the tomato begins to break down, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 2 tablespoons of the salsa.
- Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture and toss to coat. Divide the lettuce between 2 plates, top with the cooked meat and sprinkle with cheese.
- Tips: Refrigerate leftover beans for up to 3 days. Toss with a green salad or into soup for extra protein; mash with garlic powder and chopped fresh herbs for a quick dip.