Have you ever asked yourself, “What is autoimmune disease?” If so, you’re in good company because millions of people don’t know what autoimmune disorders are or what their root cause is.
Traditional diet and treatment for autoimmune disease usually centers on symptom relief and never addresses the main issue. If we don’t know what’s triggering the disease, we’ll never find a remedy! Thankfully, not all healthcare providers think this way as more doctors are learning to ask the important questions to find the root causes of our ailments.
The more we try to understand autoimmune disease, the more we find out we don’t know too much about it. For example, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has stated, “The exact cause of autoimmune disorders is unknown,” and, “There is no known prevention for most autoimmune disorders.” Yet, one thing we do know is that natural treatments for autoimmune disease do exist and people need to be aware of them!
What is Autoimmune Disease and How It Works
When your immune system is operating correctly, it only strikes against foreign cells and menacing pathogens. But when an autoimmune reaction happens, your immune system thinks that your own cells are the threat. In addition to viruses, bacteria, toxins and cancer cells that are a regular threat, your white blood cells begin to target healthy, normal cells. If not resolved promptly, the immune system could operate in hyper-drive, which can cause immune fatigue and will ultimately lead to widespread problems.
Various reports claim that 80 – 100 diseases today fall into the what is autoimmune disease or autoimmune-related category. Some of the more common autoimmune diseases are:
- Alopecia areata (hair loss)
- Celiac disease (gluten allergy)
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- GI disorders (inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Guillain-Barre syndrome (a nervous system disorder)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Skin conditions (psoriasis and scleroderma)
- Thyroid disorders (Hashimoto’s thyroiditis)
- Type I diabetes
When the immune system is in high gear, medical doctors are trained to address autoimmune conditions by prescribing powerful immune suppressing drugs. Unfortunately, this not only neglects to treat the underlying reason, it puts patients at a greater danger of developing complications from common colds and flu.
Causes Of Autoimmune Disease
Although the answer to “what is autoimmune disease?” still befuddles many doctors, there has been some major advancement in understanding the true nature of this disease.
- Genetics – Research suggests there is a close genetic relationship among autoimmune disease, which explains why multiple family members oftentimes suffer from the same disorder.
- Chronic inflammation – According to Mark Hyman, MD, “Autoimmune conditions are connected by one central biochemical process: A runaway immune response also known as systemic inflammation that results in your body attacking its own tissues.” When you think about how our culture’s diet is so rich in processed and inflammatory foods, it’s no wonder why 50 million Americans suffer from autoimmune disorders!
- Vaccines – The June 15, 2014 report from the Department of Justice clearly shows that the flu vaccine is the most dangerous vaccine in America. Most of the injuries caused by the flu shot were linked to the autoimmune disorder Guillain-Barré syndrome. Of the 78 cases awarded settlements for vaccine injuries, 55 were caused by the influenza vaccine, including one death.
Natural Treatment of Autoimmune Disease
If you or a loved-one have struggled to answer the question “What is autoimmune disease and how can I beat it?” I understand your frustration and please believe me when I say that there is hope. Research and personal testimonies have shown that, YES, autoimmune diseases can be prevented and treated effectively through natural remedies!
If you expect that you have one of the autoimmune disorders that I have listed above, you’ll want to get in touch with your natural healthcare provider immediately. During your visit, don’t forget to ask about getting tested for celiac disease, hidden food allergies and heavy metal toxicity. These are sure-fire signs that something more harmful may be going on and can help give you a clearer picture of what you can and cannot eat.
5 Steps to Stabilizing Your Immune System
You’ll also want to implement these 5 steps right away.
- Address hidden infections (bacterial, viral and fungal) with oregano essential oil or other potent natural remedies.
- Heal your gut and start taking a live probiotic supplement.
- Implement a core nutrition strategy including sufficient doses of fish oil, vitamin C, and vitamin D3.
- Engage in natural anti-inflammatory activities like a home fitness program.
- Counteract stress with deep relaxation methods such as prayer, deep breathing, yoga, and special essential oils.
At the end of the day, Functional Medicine experts like Mark Hyman, MD have shown time and time again that their patients respond extremely well to these 5 steps. Make it your aim to beat this thing and get your immune system on track today by taking simple steps to improve your lifestyle physically, mentally and emotionally!